Era Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Betspar Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Scoper
Committed Forum Member
Scoper

Betspar Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 4:47 am

The ability to script an automated spar system is doable. I don't even think it's that hard (scripters don't kill me).

That being said, we can make a system, but we can't make it idiotproof, because as Era has consistently demonstrated over the past forever is that all you do by idiotproofing is create bigger idiots.

I get maybe 5 betspar requests a week from players, none of which I deny unless I am specifically working on a house (during which time I won't be on gptag anyway. This has only come up once.). I assume that it's the same with the other PRs. I don't see a need to automate a system that's already manageable with our current PR team.

With that, if you want to betspar more: ask.

@Pro, if you want to make side bets on other peoples betspars, hmu. I don't know if it's allowed, but I will do my best to make it so, should that be something you want.
Back to top Go down
Booger
Dedicated Forum Member
Booger

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 6:23 am

Pro wrote:
Would be fun if other players could place bet's before the spar is starting.'

I would do this.
Back to top Go down
fiberwire
Dedicated Forum Member

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:35 am

It's been brought up before. Every time I bring it up, almost everyone on RC is always condescending towards it, since they feel like taking away work from PRs is making them irrelevant.

Kind of along the same lines of why there isn't an automatic payment system in player-owned businesses. It would take away from the work of the owner, making him or her irrelevant.

Scoper wrote:
That being said, we can make a system, but we can't make it idiotproof, because as Era has consistently demonstrated over the past forever is that all you do by idiotproofing is create bigger idiots.
I think the betflipping system is pretty idiotproof. And the mall system.
Back to top Go down
Booger
Dedicated Forum Member
Booger

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 am

fiberwire wrote:
It's been brought up before. Every time I bring it up, almost everyone on RC is always condescending towards it, since they feel like taking away work from PRs is making them irrelevant.

Kind of along the same lines of why there isn't an automatic payment system in player-owned businesses. It would take away from the work of the owner, making him or her irrelevant.

Scoper wrote:
I think the betflipping system is pretty idiotproof. And the mall system.

I understand the business one. The owner needs to work to get their money, but is watching betspars the #1 thing PRs do?
Back to top Go down
fiberwire
Dedicated Forum Member

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:46 am

They also watch house trades, go through logs when some idiot gets scammed, answer questions, deal with harassment, ban hackers, etc.
Back to top Go down
Booger
Dedicated Forum Member
Booger

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:48 am

fiberwire wrote:
They also watch house trades, go through logs when some idiot gets scammed, answer questions, deal with harassment, ban hackers, etc.

Exactly, so why would freeing up their time from betspars make them useless?
Back to top Go down
fiberwire
Dedicated Forum Member

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:49 am

I think the people who aren't for an automated betsparring system just think the time to make it would be better spent on something else, since the PR's job isn't all that hard.

I'd still love to see one. It would allow people to betspar on a whim without having to waste time getting a PR. Of course, it would have to be limited to cash betspars, probably.
Back to top Go down
Booger
Dedicated Forum Member
Booger

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:51 am

fiberwire wrote:
I think the people who aren't for an automated betsparring system just think the time to make it would be better spent on something else, since the PR's job isn't all that hard.

I'd still love to see one. It would allow people to betspar on a whim without having to waste time getting a PR. Of course, it would have to be limited to cash betspars, probably.

Oh that's what you were getting at. I could agree with that
Back to top Go down
BlueMelon
Dedicated Forum Member
BlueMelon

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:55 am

I once tried creating a betspar system on Era Dev (when i first starting working for era), it was really a hassle because of the amount of variables you need to account for...
Back to top Go down
fiberwire
Dedicated Forum Member

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 7:58 am

Booger wrote:
fiberwire wrote:

Oh that's what you were getting at. I could agree with that

Then again, watching betflips wasn't that difficult either, although there was a larger volume of them than betspars.
Back to top Go down
urmom04

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:33 am

a automated betflipping system would be cool, btw this thread is stale no? we should make a newer one about betsparring system
Back to top Go down
Scoper
Committed Forum Member
Scoper

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:26 am

urmom04 wrote:
a automated betflipping system would be cool, btw this thread is stale no? we should make a newer one about betsparring system

All done.
Back to top Go down
LukeDynasty

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Frankie wrote:
is this game that amateur that you need a PR to watch bet spars? if it's such a popular thing to do why isn't there a spar system in place to eliminate the need of a PR? just curious

Actually there was one a few years back and for me atleast it worked pretty well, cash was the only object that was betable. I have no idea why it was removed probably something stupid.
Back to top Go down
Frankie
Experienced Forum Member
Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 2:04 am

LukeDynasty wrote:
Frankie wrote:
is this game that amateur that you need a PR to watch bet spars? if it's such a popular thing to do why isn't there a spar system in place to eliminate the need of a PR? just curious

Actually there was one a few years back and for me atleast it worked pretty well, cash was the only object that was betable. I have no idea why it was removed probably something stupid.
yeah. rygar made one back when daz was manager in a separate building by the car dealership. andy scripted it. I don't know where it went or why it was taken down unless due to bugs.
Back to top Go down
LukeDynasty

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Frankie wrote:
LukeDynasty wrote:
Frankie wrote:

yeah. rygar made one back when daz was manager in a separate building by the car dealership. andy scripted it. I don't know where it went or why it was taken down unless due to bugs.

indeed i used to use it all the time it was fun and never had bugs for me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Betspar Discussion   Betspar Discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Betspar Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2